Crosstalk: June 19, 2018
Dr. David Stevens is the chief executive officer of the Christian Medical and Dental Association, the nation's largest faith-based organization of healthcare professionals. Dr. Stevens has also served as a missionary doctor in Kenya for some 10 years. He's also conducted numerous seminars on such issues as stem cell research, human cloning, genetics, faith and health, physician-assisted suicide, abortion and other topics.
On January 1st, California opened the door for the recreational use of marijuana. Newsweek has reported that at least 12 states are poised to consider the legalization of marijuana.
Dr. Stevens believes that part of the reason this is happening is because of big money. George Soros has poured 100 million dollars into the Drug Policy Alliance. That's a group that's pushing legalization across the nation. Also, in Colorado, they have 28 full-time lobbyists at the state legislature, more than on any issue.
Marijuana back in the 60's had about 1% THC content. Today, the average across the U.S. is 12%. If you go to Colorado, it's about 30%. THC is a reference to the active substance in marijuana: Tetrohydrocannabinol. That's what gives the 'high', the hallucinations, the feeling of ease, the loss of contact with time and other bodily effects.
Other effects to note include breathing problems, it increases the heart rate, gives an increased risk of heart attack, it's very bad for pregnant women, if used in high amounts it can actually be the cause, rather than the cure, for intense nausea and vomiting, it makes schizophrenia worse, causes lower satisfaction with life, relationship problems, less academic and career success, and the list goes on.
THC doesn't give any medicinal effects. That comes from cannabinol. Cannabinol doesn't give a 'high' but does have some effect on glaucoma, nausea and other things. So the mantra being promoted is that if we just legalize it, that will cut down on the use of it.
Dr. Stevens explained that an independent group estimated that out of 13-1/2 million pounds of marijuana produced in California, 80% of it was illegally shipped out of state, and of the remaining 20%, only 5% went into medicinal marijuana.
So why are numerous states looking to jump aboard the marijuana bandwagon? Again, it all goes back to money. Marijuana is getting taxed. It had been estimated that by this year, marijuana would be a 3.5 billion dollar business in California and a 5 billion dollar business by next year, with the state making a billion dollars in taxes.
So it's not the legalization of marijuana that's really the issue, it's the commercialization. Under commercialization you need to get more current users and you want them to become ever more frequent users. Obtaining that goal requires more marketing which is just what you'll see in Colorado as marijuana is promoted in TV, print, etc. This is resulting in huge profits for the state and those involved in it. Just to prove the point, Dr. Stevens noted that in one minority area of Denver, there's 1 marijuana shop for every 47 people.
Dr. Stevens has no problem with medical marijuana as long as it's handled like medicine. He gave the example of morphine which is an effective drug for pain relief. Morphine comes from heroin which in turn, comes from poppy plants. We don't allow people to grow poppy plants in their backyard and manufacture their own heroin, but that's what we're doing with marijuana. There's no manufacturer, there's no FDA approval, no standard chemical composition for potency and quality, no standard dosage, no safe delivery system, and no knowledge of interaction with other drugs you may be taking. Instead, in California, the legal system is basically saying that if you need marijuana for medicinal use, you can grow six plants in your backyard as long as people can't see them. Then you can consume that marijuana in whatever dosage you want.
There's much more to learn on this subject and Jim helps bring it to you in this very informative Crosstalk interview.
Sorry, only Situation Room Members can download this episode.Click Here to Join For as Little as $8.99/month.